Pangkalpinang municipality is an autonomous region located in the eastern part of Bangka Island. Administratively, it was officially set to be the provincial capital on 9 February 2001, after it was founded based on Undang-Undang number 27 of 2000 to be the 31st province in Republic of Indonesia. Astronomically, this municipality is on 106°4' - 106°7' longitude and 2°4' - 2°4’ latitude. It is bounded to the north by Pagarawan village and to the west by Air Duren village in Bangka regency, to the south by Dul village in Bangka Tengah, to the east by South China Sea with its beautiful coastline known as Pasir Padi beach. As the center of development area, especially in Bangka Island and generally in Kepulauan Bangka Belitung, it has been rapidly growing in the latest years and as consequence, based on PP Number 12 of 1984, it has been developed from 31,70 km² to 89,40 km² to overcome the need of urban area, and also in 2007 it was developed into 89.40 km² based on PP number 79 of 2007. It has 7 districts and 44 subdistricts now from the previously 5 districts.
Geographically, Pangkalpinang is a strategic area especially in its relation to national and province development. Its position as the provincial capital mainly functions as the center of development comprising the center of government, political activity, population density, commercial and industry, goods distribution, mining tin administration, financial institutions, and public services like education, health, and social welfare.
As the provincial capital, Pangkalpinang has various natural beauties and also historical heritage on Republic of Indonesian independent revolution. Tin mining history in Indonesia is also kept in this city.
Pasir Padi is its prominent natural potency. It has 2 km white sand coast line. It is known to have slope structure and solid contour of the sand making it comfortable to be walked through and even by vehicles such as motorcycle, car, or truck. Many supporting facilities like hotel, restaurants, souvenir shops, playground, outbound and also water sport facilities are there. Besides that, restaurants along the beach serve various sea foods of fish, crab calamary, various kinds of mollusks and others in a relatively cheap prize.
In the south of Pasir Padi, Tanjung Bunga Beach sticking out to the sea on a hilly area provides a beautiful panorama. Passenger and cargo ships from and to Pangkalbalam can be seen from this beach.
In the downtown, there is a resident house which is now become an official house of Pangkalpinang mayor. This grandiose house is located in the middle of Pangkalpinang, in the zero kilometer of the city. Near to this house stands the only tin museum in Indonesia, Museum Timah Indonesia. It only takes one full day to enjoy the potency of this city. After feasting our eyes on the various potencies, we can satisfy our culinary desire. Various sea food can be found in almost all restaurants. The well-known Martabak Bangka is sold from afternoon to evening (between 17.00 to 22.00 pm).
Pantai Pasir Padi
This potential tourism area in Pangkalpinang is about 8 km from the downtown in Air Itam Subdisdrict. It has 2 km white sand coastline. It has 2 km white sand coast line. It is known to have slope structure and solid contour of the the sand make it comfortable to be walked through and even sand making it comfortable to be walked through and even by vehicle.
The beauty of this beach is not less interesting before others beaches in Bangka Island. Besides having a panorama coloured with blue sea, natural scenery, and green isles, not far from the seashore there is also an islet known as Punai which can be visited on foot in low tide.
This is the most visited beach, especially those living in Pangkalpinang and nearby. 6.000 visitors can come here on holiday. Besides enjoying the beautiful panorama, they can alswo swim, play kite, volleyball, football, motor cross, or simply enjoying the fress coconut ice in the coastal breeze. Many supporting facilities like hotel, restaurant, souvenir shop, playground, outbond and water sport are now available. Besides that, restaurants along the beach serve various sea food of fish, crab, calamary, various kind of mollusks and others in a relatively cheap prize. Mega project is now planned to develop the municipality and tourism to build this area as the biggest on water new city in South East Asia known as Waterfront City.
Pantai Tanjung Bunga
Tanjung Bunga is a slove and unique rocky beach located in the south of Pasir Padi. Due to it sticks out to the sea, this beach with a hilly area has a beautiful panorama especially when ships are passing Pasir Padi and Tanjung Bunga. This beach has already had a siteplan as a tourism area and integrated area of TAC TOS (Tanjung Bunga Circuit and Town Square) dan exhibition hall.
The uniqueness of this area is its beautifully arranged rock. It is very suitable for those who love spesific tourism like beach and mountain tracking adventure.
Bangka Botanical Garden
Bangka Botanical Garden (BBG) is a land development for horticulture, animal husbandry, seed and fodder production using ex-tin mining and critical land as a leading project to create a new ecosystem. It can process infertile land for various types of plants, fresh water fish pond and husbandry of dairy and beef cattle.
This modern ecotourism area is now a reference for developing unproductive land in other areas in Indonesia and also an icon of environtmental concern of its people.
Sentosa Chinese Cemitery
Sentosa Chinese Cemetery built in 1935 is located in Soekarno Hatta Street Pangkalpinang. It is 27 ha. wide and having around 12.000 graves. Boen Pit Liem family grave renovated in the 4th year of Sun Yat Set era, estimated in 1915, is the oldest grave. The graves here were built in interesting and unique shapes and architectures embellished with beautiful chinese character fetching out social status of the dead.
Sentosa, as other Chinese cemetery, is built on hilly area to show high respect to ancestor. As written on the monument built in 1935, it was a contribution of Boen family this graveyard was contributed by four persons, Yap Fo Sun in 1972, Chin A Heuw in 1050, Yap Ten Thiam in 1944, and Lim Sui Cian.
It is the biggest chinese cemetery in South East of Asia and very unique for each grave has a different architecture. It has a 500 million rupiahs grave made of granite stone. It also has two moslem graves besides grave of Paulus Cen On Ngie grave, a sinshe from China, and a Chatolic church pioneer and pastor Johannes Boen Thiam Kiat, the first native pastor projo (presbyter) in Pangkalpinang archdiocese. This graveyard is the centre of Qing Ming Festival in Pangkalpinang where all family members living outside Bangka will come home to pray and give their respect to ancestors buried in this graveyard. The peak of this festival is held on 5 April every year (adjusting to the Chinese calendar).
Giri Maya Golf Course
Girimaya hill is another alternative of tourism destination besides beach and forest. It is only about 2 km from the downtown and around 4 km from Depati Amir Airport. We can enjoy beautiful panorama of Pangkalpinang from the top of the hill either day or night. This area is often used by the people to jog just to have a little exercise and get fresh air.
For those who love golf, here we have a golf course with 18 national standard holes surrounded by hill and greeneries. Tourists can play in this facility or just enjoy the natural beauty and the romance of this “Love Hill” together with their lover and families.
Jamik mosque, located on Masjid Jamik Street, is one of the biggest and oldest mosques in
Pangkalpinang. It was built on 3 Syawal 1355 H or 18 December 1936 as it was written on a white marmer table placed in front it.
It was built by Kampung Dalam society who moved from Kampung Tuatunu due to different comprehension in interpreting Islam. One of its uniqueness is five small pillars in front stairs with a half circle roof representing Five Pillars of Islam. Six small pillars, three is on the right and the rest is on the left, standing between the front wall and the roof is also representing Islamic Pillar of Faith. It also has four main pillars symbolizing Khalifaturrasyidin; five entrances with three are in the front mosque, one is on the left and one is on the right; it is structured by three terraces with a dome and four minarets. Jamik mosque is one of the Pangkalpinang cultural heritages.
Christian Cemetery of the Dutch (Kerkof) is on Hormen Maddati Street (Sekolah Street), Melintang sub district. Here laid around 100 graves with epitaph written in Bahasa Indonesia, Japan and Dutch. The oldest grave is 1902 and the newest is around 1950’s. This cemetery is unique because none of the Dutch buried here was put down their tittle or military rank. This is probably done to avoid defacement.
One of the oldest graves is madam Irene Mathilde Ehrencron passed away on 10 March 1928. Here was also buried the Japanese soldier of WW II. It is evidence that Pangkalpinang has a strategic position for Netherlands East Indies at that time
Missionary and Brothers grave
Along with the coming of Japan in February 1942, WW II brought a really bad impact to the church In Pangkalpinang. On 10 April 1942, Mgr. Vitus Bouma,ss.cc Dutch Priests and Brothers were arrested and put in Pangkalpinang before they were moved to Muntok camp in May 1944 and then to Belalau, Lubuk Linggau in March 1945. Their duty to take care of Chatolics in Pangkalpinang and Bangka Belitung was taken over by Pastor Mario John Boen Thiam Kiat and Brother Angelus Manopo until Japan surrendered and Indonesia declared its independence in 1945.
The chiefpriest of Bangka Belitung and Riau Chatolic church Mgr. Vitus Bouma ss.cc died in Belalau camp Lubuk Linggau on 19 April 1945. When the remaining was realesed, 3 of 11 arrested missionaries were still alive and 8 of 15 Budi Mulia Brothers survived. In the beginning of 1950 the bones of the missionaries died in Japanese camp were dug out and laid to rest in BudiMulia Brothers’ complex in Sungai Selan Street.
Initially this church was known as Keerkerad der Protestanche Gementee to Pangkalpinang, built in Resident J.E. Eddie era in 1927, along with the construction of water tower in Bukit Mangkol. After the Independence Day, Indische Kerk (GPI) changed its name into Gereja Protestan Indonesia Barat (GPIB) Maranatha Pangkalpinang. The first priest assigned by the Nederland East Indies to serve its parish was J.N. Beiger. This church is one of eight GPIB congregations in Kepulauan Bangka Belitung Province; six are in Bangka and the rest are in Belitung.
The building has a specific and interesting characteristic due to a big clock tower constructed along with its rectory. It was made of concrete with limas or pyramid type of roof and its brick wall is covered with granite. The front wall has a triangle shape with a cross on it. It is consisted of one main building and two supporting building at the right and back side. The cross stands on the main room roof. GPIB Maranatha is one of nine Pangkalpinang cultural heritages protected by the nation.
Ex Resident House
As a historical city, Pangkalpinang has a lot of cultural heritages revealing the national glory in the past used as indicators in analyzing local progress. Tourists can visit this grandiose building in the down town of Pangkalpinang, right in the zero kilometer of Bangka Island. It is called Big House by the local because it is big and firm as a rock, has 10 pillars, tall window and door with clay made roof-tiles for air circulation as characteristic of European architecture. It is consisted of two connected main buildings at the right and left side. There are a flag pole, two canons dated 1840 and 1857, and a lotus pond with a fish statuette. A resident office, previously used as the governor office, is next to it, besides another building
like meeting hall (now known as Panti Wangka), Police station (Opas), prison, and other facilities like town square (Taman Merdeka), street, and Wilhelmina Park (now known as Tamansari) designed by Van Ben Benzehoren. At this moment, the house is officially become the house of Pangkalpinang Mayor and also registered as one of nine cultural heritages in Pangkalpinang.
Museum Timah Indonesia
Located on Jenderal Ahmad Yani Street, Museum Timah Indonesia is the one of the two tin museums in Indonesia. Before it was functioned as museum, it was an employee’s house of BTW (Banka Tin Winning). On 6 Februari 1949 it was a domicile of Indonesian leaders. Bung Karno and Haji Agus Salim, were among them when they were exiled to Bangka, before they were taken to Menumbing in Mentok after Yogyakarta as the capital city of Republic of Indonesia was occupied in Dutch Military Aggression,19 December 1948. This building was ever used as a meeting place in pre-Roem-Royen negotiation. The building with the word Househill written on the entrance terrace officially became Museum Timah Indonesia on 2 Augusts 1997. It preserves a collection of historical remains especially on the history of tin Mining in Bangka Belitung since Palembang Sultanate in 16 century. This museum is now has been acknowledged to be one of Pangkalpinang cultural heritages.
Bakti Timah Hospital
Since the capital of the residency was moved from Muntok to Pangkalpinang by Dutch in 1913, Pangkalpinang became the center of administration and tin mining. Bhakti Timah hospital was built in 1920 by Resident Dournik. This building was initially a clinic of Nederlands East Indies mining company Banka Tin Winning Berdrijf (BTW) around 1900 provided for its employees.
After Dutch leaving Indonesia, the company was nationalized by the Indonesia government in 1953 and became state company in 1969. The clinic keeps develop as a part of the company.
This hospital now has been renovated and has more rooms adjusting to the need to increase its service to society. The old square and two stairs clinic building is still well preserved. It has a hexagonal shape. The first stairs is laid by black/grey tile and wood lays the upper stairs. It is Pangkalpinang cultural heritage.
Grand Mosque of Tua Tunu
Grand Mosque of Tuatunu is the biggest mosque in Bangka Belitung, located in the middle of Tuatunu Malay village. Taufik Effendi, State Minister of Administrative Reform, dedicated it on 20 March 2008. It is funded by Pangkalpinang Municipality, Kepulauan Bangka Belitung province and others.
The building has both modern and traditional architecture equipped by sophisticated facilities like electric bedug (large drum suspended horizontally at mosque to summon to prayer, internet connection and others. Besides for praying, it also expected to be a center of Islamic study and other Islamic activities.
Al Mukarrom mosque is located in Tuatunu Malay village. Previously it was in the middle of the village, Kampung Lama Tuatunu, but now it is exactly in the end of the village. It is the oldest mosque in Bangka Island for it was built in 1928. Some says the first Jum’at praying in Pangkalpinang was performed in this mosque.
Menara Air Minum
Menara Air minum or drinking water tower was constructed by Dutch when J.E Edie ruled Bangka since 1925 as Resident. He conducted a research to find water resource for the people and constructed the tower in 1927 located in Bukit Mangkol which is now Inside PT Timah Bukit Baru residential complex. This tower serves 11.970 customers in Pangkalpinang at that time. It is now not functioned any more for there is a new tower and it becomes Pangkalpinang cultural heritage.
It is two huge tanks of 12,6 m x 9,6 m with 5 m height and diameter of 8,25 propped by big pipes installed in the building to canalize the water to all its customers. This tower is bounded by six poles. They were made as a boundary between the land of the tower and PT Timah Bukit Baru housing complex which was an elite housing at that time.
The complex built around the tower was constructed by Dutch colonial administration in its relation to provide settlement in the center of its residency. Some buildings in that complex and arround it still preserve their original Dutch architecture.
Santo Yoseph Cathedral
Santo Yoseph Cathedral constructed on 5 Agusts 1934 was initially named Pelindung Santo
Yoseph. There is a Cathedra as a place where Bishop leads Eucharist ceremony. Its history cannot be separated from Chatolic evangelism by Tsen On Ngie (Zeng Aner) Bangka, Belitung, Kepulauan Riau, and Kalimantan since 1830. An important event in it was on 25 April 1935 when a native Bangka, Johannes Boen Thiam Kiat, was inaugurated as the first pastor projo (presbyter) in Indonesia.
His name is enshrined as the name of Pangkalpinang parish hall, Balai Mario Jhon Boen. Santo Yoseph Cathedral now becomes one of Pangkalpinang cultural heritages preserved by the government.
English Eds.: Zelly/RB